Friday, May 4, 2007

Discrimination at Work

I wonder any of you experience discriminate at work that doesn't provide interpreter to your needs? If you do please let me know and feedback on your experience at work. Did you file DFEH (Department of Fair Employment Housing) for your complaint against your work? Have they investigate the situation at work?I would like to share my experience that my work didn't provide interpreter, because the employer assume that I'm very efficient fluent on lip reading, which I disagree wholeheartly. I'm fluent in ASL and can talk, but ASL is my first language. One on one I can do it, but as a group for mandatory company meeting that's impossible, my friend is deaf and I are frustrated that we can't get same information as other employees get. I always asked my co worker who is hearing to explained to me what the situation is about.My friend and I finally decided to file complaint against our work company and report to Union and DFEH, eventually they ignore our responses then we took to the next level by getting the lawyer to filed suit against them. Our lawyer said we have very strong case due to witnesses and violate the ADA law.

2 comments:

Wolfers said...

Well, when I just got hired at Walmart (two years ago), they at first tried to put me in a cashier position until they found out I was deaf. So they then put me in working at the baby department with a manager and staff. So there'd be someone there to take customers and I'd just do stock. But often than not, there'd be no staff- and customers'd get frustrated with me. After six months, I decided it wasn't worth working there at Walmart. There were always meetings but I never knew about it until afterwards. Thro there were trainings but on videos/computer vlogs- captioned. I guess that's how much they'd go far in working with deaf folks. (shrug)

Lisa C. said...

The company where I worked as an electronic repair technican had provided the interpreters for the All Employees' meetings. After resigning my job in order to move to another state in 2005, I sent the thank you cards to the Human Recourse persons thanking them for arranging the interpreters for me and the deaf friend.