Tuesday, February 5, 2008

John Ritter exposed ASL

Remember John Ritter, the famous Jack Tripper from Three's Company and 8 Simple Rules TV show. He died of aortic dissection, an unrecognized and undetected flaw in his heart. He was famous for clumsy acting, very funny expression that you can understand body language and even without speaking still show his expression.

I learned yesterday that John Ritter spoke alittle of ASL to his wife just before he passed on. I will quote exactly what happened to John and his wife Amy Yasbeck, Ritter was on set for rehearsals of “8 Simple Rules” on Sept. 11, 2003 — the fifth birthday of daughter Stella — when he experienced severe nausea and vomiting. He went to nearby St. Joseph’s at 6 p.m.
Yasbeck said Ritter felt badly that he was “ruining Stella’s birthday.”
“He was smiling at me,” she recalled. “And I said ... ‘I love you.’ ”
Yasbeck indicated that Ritter said “I love you” back with American Sign Language, which they had signed to each other during stage performances.
“And he held it as he went around the corner,” she said. “That’s the last time I saw him till I saw him dead, after he died.”

My thought that he did exposed ASL on stage in public sending the message that ASL is awesome and can communicate another way to people. More and more people are recognizing ASL that is true language of ASLAN. I just thought that was interesting and share with you all.

3 comments:

Deaf Pixie said...

It was so good to say bye.. John Ritter's wife suing or already sue. I cannot remember exactly .. he signed to his wife " I love you!"
Of course it was unexpected death that very same day on his 5 yr old daughter's birthday on his death.

I watched and really interested about sued the doctor for medical neglected. he would live if Doctor find out last mintues instead of waiting and died without warning him.

Wendy said...

Wow, thanks for sharing this story! I really loved John Ritter on Three's Company. This is a sweet touching ASL story.

AslMan said...

Deaf Pixie, and Wendy thanks for your comments.

Yes, he is amazing and try to open the eyes for everyone.